108 Sun Salutations Fundraiser
Join Cynthia Funk and Orlando Batista
For a fundraiser for our son’s youth soccer team! His team will be involved in 4 International Tournaments this upcoming season and we are hoping to support all the families in getting their boys to the tournaments!
Enjoy the experience of 108 Sun Salutations, drawn from various yoga lineages and delivered in an accessible way to people with all levels of experience. Join us for this brilliant meditative practice that challenges both the body and the mind.
- The following are a few fun facts about the number 108!
- Renowned mathematicians of Vedic culture viewed 108 as the number representing the wholeness of existence.
- The distance between the Sun and the Earth is 108 times the Sun’s diameter. Also, the distance between the Moon and the Earth is 108 times the Moon’s diameter. Again, the radius of the Moon 108 miles.
- The number 108 holds a very important place in Islam as well. In Islam, the number 108 is used to refer to Allah.
- In Buddhist, Taoist and in Sikhism, devotees use a mala or sacred string, that has 108 knots of wool or a string of beads and traditional prayers are repeated 108 times.
- According to experts there are 108 stages of the soul, i.e. the atman. This is because it is believed that a departed human soul has to go through 108 stages before attaining liberation.
- The concept of time has intrigued many across the ages, some experts have defined time as having 108 feelings, i.e. 36 in the past, 36 in the present and 36 in the future.
- According to the ancient yogic tradition, there are 108 pithas, or sacred sites, throughout India.
- There are also 108 Upanishads and 108 marma points, or sacred places of the body.
- Often practiced welcoming the seasons, we will be offering this event to celebrate the Spring Equinox of 2019!
Suggested Donation $20, please register on-line to secure your space and/or to donate.
Cash donations are also welcome~
100% of the proceeds will help our future Canadian Soccer Stars travel to International Tournaments.
* Please arrive 15 minutes before class time, to check-in at the 3rd floor reception and get settled for the class.
** We highly suggest you bring your own mat as we have a limited number of rental mats for use.